Sexual Assault Services
IF YOU HAVE BEEN SEXUALLY ASSAULTED:
You have a Choice!
First, get to a safe place.
Know it is not your fault!
Reach out, connect with the Safe Harbor 24/7 crisis line with questions or just to talk: 1.800.499.7640
If considering seeking Medical Treatment or reporting to Law Enforcement:
- Avoid showering/washing, toileting, eating or drinking to preserve evidence
- Save any clothing or items that may hold evidence like bedding
- Aurora Memorial Hospital in Sheboygan has highly trained SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Exam) Nurses to help preserve evidence. You can have a SANE exam EVEN if you are NOT reporting to Law Enforcement (*exception for minors).
IF SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS BEEN ASSAULTED:
False reporting of sexual assaults is rare, and comparable to false reporting of instances of theft, robbery, and arson.
Let them know, it’s not their fault!
This could be the first time they are disclosing, and they need your support.
It is "ok" to not have an answer or response, just be present with them.
Victims and Survivors of Sexual Assault have choice:
- Let them decide to report* or to have a SANE exam.
- Let them decide who to tell and how much they feel comfortable sharing.
- Help them find resources they feel comfortable accessing – Safe Harbor has resources available for victims and for family and friends of victims.
* Wisconsin has mandated reporting laws that require certain people to report crimes committed against minors to Law Enforcement.