Sexual Assault Services
IF YOU HAVE BEEN SEXUALLY ASSAULTED:
YOU HAVE A CHOICE!
- First, get to a safe place.
- Know it is not your fault!
- Reach out, connect with the Safe Harbor 24/7 crisis line with questions or just to talk: 1.800.499.7640
- If considering seeking Medical Treatment or reporting to Law Enforcement:
- Avoid showering/washing, toileting, eating or drinking to preserve evidence
- Save any clothing or items that may hold evidence like bedding
- Aurora Memorial Hospital in Sheboygan has highly trained SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Exam) Nurses to help preserve evidence. You can have a SANE exam EVEN if you are NOT reporting to Law Enforcement (*exception for minors).
IF SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS BEEN ASSAULTED:
- False reporting of sexual assaults is rare, and comparable to false reporting of instances of theft, robbery, and arson.
- Let them know, it’s not their fault!
- Just Listen.
- This could be the first time they are disclosing, and they need your support.
- It is "ok" to not have an answer or response, just be present with them.
- Victims and Survivors of Sexual Assault have choice:
- Let them decide to report* or to have a SANE exam.
- Let them decide who to tell and how much they feel comfortable sharing.
- Help them find resources they feel comfortable accessing – Safe Harbor has resources available for victims and for family and friends of victims.