Internet Safety

The Most Important Thing When Web Browsing

If at all possible use a computer that your abuser won’t access: perhaps one at a library, your work, a friend’s house, a family member’s house, or an internet café.

Computers are messy. They leave many digital traces of your activity. These traces are nearly impossible to remove completely. However, if you must use a computer that your abuser has access to, the following will give you some measure of protection. 

Web Browsing

What Your Browser Remembers

Your browser leaves behind many traces as you visit websites. These traces can easily show which sites you’ve visited.  Some of these traces (“cookies” and the browser’s “cache”) are small files on your computer’s disk. Your browser also keeps a history of the sites you’ve visited recently.

How to delete your Cashe/Cookies:


E-Mail Safety

For your safety, if you are emailing about domestic violence, do not use an email account that your abuser has access to. Your abuser may be able to see the emails you have sent, and even recover emails that you have deleted.

If you need to send an email about domestic violence, if at all possible create an account that your abuser does not know about, and use a computer that your abuser does not have access to. Be sure to pick an email name and password that your abuser will not be able to guess.

**Please note the Safe Harbor email account is not monitored 24/7. It will generate an automatic response. If you are in immediate danger, please contact our Helpline at 920.452.7640 or 1.800.499.7640. If you have safety concerns about your email, please wait for the automatic response and delete it, along with any correspondence to and from Safe Harbor.

Emergency Resources: If you or a loved one feels abused, threatened, scared or unsafe in an intimate partner relationship, Safe Harbor can help you.

If you need immediate help, please call our 24-Hour Helpline at 920.452.7640 or  1.800.499.7640. Interpreter services are available. If you feel your life may be in danger, please call 911.