Volunteer & Community Engagement Coordinator
TITLE: Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISES: Volunteers / Interns
JOB SUMMARY: The Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and managing all Safe Harbor volunteers and interns. This position will serve as a point of contact for community interaction related to general agency awareness, in-kind donations and events supporting increased awareness and interaction with the Agency. As related, this person will also be responsible for community based fundraisers and awareness events held by community partners and other special event initiatives as directed by the Fund Development Director and Executive Director.
Candidate must be able to represent the mission, values and philosophy of Safe Harbor to program participants, employees, and the general public. Model and promote attitudes of non-violence, anti-oppression, inclusiveness, and power-sharing in all facets of position responsibilities, especially when working with community partners. Be an outspoken voice against violence against women and children, teen dating violence, sexual assault, rigid gender roles, and norms of masculinity within the community through conversation, training, social media, and one-on-one conversations.
VOLUNTEER PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT
Recruitment, Screening, and Assignment
- Spearhead volunteer recruitment efforts for both direct service and non-direct service programs and serve as the primary contact for all potential volunteers. Recruit, schedule, support and supervise both direct and non-direct service volunteers (individuals, interns and groups) Formalize a procedure for integrated volunteer support program for Safe Harbor.
- Work with Safe Harbor program specialists to identify ongoing areas in need of volunteer support and develop job descriptions for both interns and program support volunteers.
- Use a variety of means including websites, social networks and traditional sources to recruit a diverse volunteer corp. able to support programs and efforts of Safe Harbor. Publicize and maintain volunteer postings with Volunteer Center of Sheboygan County, local schools and universities in addition to other relevant community volunteer recruitment sites.
- Continually update the volunteer application, position availability with team members and community outlets.
- Conduct background checks and reference checks on volunteers and student interns.
Recognition and Retention
- Provide consultation and support to Safe Harbor team members working with volunteers.
- Keep all volunteer data current and updated information for volunteers, ongoing volunteer hours, exit interviews, and surveys.
- Collaborates with other team members to provide recognition, and organize/schedule recognition events
- Under the direction of the Executive Director plan, implement, and evaluate the volunteer training materials to insure continuity with our advocacy training and innovation in the industry.
- Maintain the ongoing development of volunteer training curriculum for Safe Harbor
- Compile training evaluations and maintain adequate performance levels.
- In collaboration with program specialists, plan and staff ongoing training opportunities for volunteer advocates and volunteer presenters for community education.
- Maintain database for tracking volunteer data.
- Track performance outcomes for grants that fund volunteer program.
- Participate in agency grant and contract reporting as directed by Executive Director and other organizational leadership on a monthly basis.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND FUNDRAISING
- Develop and implement an awareness campaign to increase awareness of Safe Harbor services in conjunction with employees and volunteers. This will include all efforts interacting with community organizations and individuals that increase exposure to the agency. These outreach efforts include but are not limited to education, special events, health fairs, and meetings sponsored by community members aimed at increasing awareness and understanding of agency services.
- Work with Fund Development Director to support various fundraising events. This includes the identification and cultivation of potential volunteers, donors or groups through the volunteer program.
- Responsible for raising funds to support agency operations through community or volunteer-driven events and projects.
- Work with Program Staff to increase awareness and or fundraising efforts during specific awareness months to increase awareness of agency, services and opportunities; including but not limited to Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Sexual Assault Awareness Month and Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month
- Work to engage specific communities around issues of interpersonal violence with special attention to men, minority and rural communities
- Responsible for all organization social media efforts including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube.
- Provide support and crisis advocacy to Safe Harbor participants including resource, support, and information referrals, education, and advocacy. This includes days, nights and weekends as needed by the agency.
- May accompany victims to court and provides advocacy services, follow up and support as needed. Will work closely with Legal Advocate on training and development of Court Watch program.
- Assists clients in identifying and accessing appropriate community resources and services; Acts as liaison between client and community partners as needed.
- Offers assistance with restraining orders, restitution, and crime victim compensation claims.
- Provides daytime and after hours’ response to forensic exams, interviews and Law Enforcement Interviews.
- Provide scheduled Shelter and Helpline Support
- Staff 24-hour hotline, shelter and walk-in services
- Assist with shelter intakes, orientations and discharge of shelter residents.
- Facilitates cooperative living, support, and resident’s participation in shelter programming.
- Model and actively promote positive, nurturing interactions between adults and children in shelter.
- Respond to the needs of shelter residents by providing supplies as requested, supporting individual needs, mediating conflicts that arise, and supervising overall shelter activities. Promptly address difficulties or problems that arise and discharge in a timely manner.
- Attend all meetings as required
- Maintain accurate statistics and monthly reports
- Develop and maintain inventory of volunteer data; files and agency forms as required.
- Maintain database of current and prospective volunteer and organizational contacts and locations
- In coordination with supervisor, develop a budget for recruitment, retention, recognition, and training.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend community and state forums or meetings as necessary, and directed by agency leadership
- Support agency events through attendance as appropriate
- Share on-call rotation with other advocates for support
- Supports Safe Harbor’s philosophy of empowerment, survivorship, healthy choices and personal responsibility among team members, volunteers and clients.
- Adhere to agency policies and work rules, including confidentiality and code of ethics.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- College Degree in communication, marketing, sociology, psychology, social work or related field; - applicable experience will be considered in place of degree.
- Experience working with and/or managing volunteers and a self-starter with strong organizational, oral and written communications skills
- Employ creative thinking and active problem solving to revise, and implement training and protocols for volunteer services
- Ability to multi-task and be thorough in activities and responsibilities
- High degree of flexibility and the ability to problem solve and make decisions individually and /or within a team, in order to achieve organizational objectives.
- Excellent judgment, an ability to exercise discretion and tact in difficult or confidential situations and an ability to project a positive, professional image to the public.
- Ability to communicate articulately and interact comfortably and effectively with team members, volunteers, funders, board, community partners and governmental agencies.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; ability to work with both youth and adults in a variety of settings with a commitment to and experience in working with people from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the issues of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Bilingual a plus
- Paid Training
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance.
- 403b Match
- Paid Sick Time
- Personal Time
- Paid Holidays
Safe Harbor supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
Job Type: Full-time / Salary: $44,000.00 to $66,000.00 per year