Director of Finance and Operations
TITLE: Director of Finance and Operations
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISES: Office Manager
We are looking for a committed individual to join our team as our Director of Finance and Operations. This position will be responsible for efficient and effective implementation of Safe Harbor’s administration by managing financial details, budgeting, and compliance. As the Director of Finance and Operations you will also provide supervision of the Office Manager; in addition to support to the remainder of employees. This position is responsible for all aspects of payroll and benefits administration and human resources related to records, onboarding, payroll and benefits.
Must be able to represent the mission, values and philosophy of Safe Harbor to employees, vendors, program participants and to the general public. Model and promote attitudes of non-violence, anti-oppression, inclusiveness, and power-sharing in all facets of position responsibilities, especially when working with community partners. Be an outspoken voice against violence against women and children, teen dating violence, sexual assault, rigid gender roles, and norms of masculinity within the community through conversation, trainings, social media, and one-on-one conversations.
- Oversee, review and maintain all aspects of Safe Harbor’s accounting functions on an accrual method of accounting including accounts payable, receivables, cash receipts, deposits, cash disbursements, in-kind, fixed assets, depreciation, inventory all transactions related to the general ledger, bank and investment reconciliations, etc.
- Ensure all financial expenditures are consistently aligned with specific grant and program budgets throughout the grant and funding periods.
- Manage and monitor the budget for Safe Harbor programs and grants; communicate with program managers periodically comparing what was forecasted with actual expenditures, and identify problem areas and propose potential solutions.
- Lead the development and/or refinement of a set of internal financial controls, systems and reporting functionality that meet requirements for funding compliance, and are in line with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Prepare and guide annual financial audit process, assist in the preparation of Form 990s
Grants Management and Compliance
- Work closely with the Executive Director to monitor the performance of all grants with respect to the activities, deliverables, and milestones agreed upon in their funding proposals.
- Maintain grants management filing system and oversight procedures for all grant agreements and financial reports. Ensure safe Harbor complies with all contractual obligations, financial reporting requirements, and all other funder guidelines.
- Ensure that all uses of funds are property prepared, reviewed, approved, and documented, in line with all appropriate policies, procedures, authority levels, and local / federal laws, and ensures that this information is property entered into the accounting system.
- Oversee and enforce the system for procurement of all goods and services, following grant rules and regulations where applicable.
- Responsible for leading the financial reporting process on all grants to ensure compliance with approved policies and procedures.
Operations and Human Resources
- Oversee and implement Human Resources database program and ensure effective tracking system of confidential personnel files for Safe Harbor employees, containing key data, documents and correspondences relative to each employee. Ensure all HR information is maintained and up to date.
- Ensure appropriate procedures are in place and are respected with respect to recruitment, dismissal, compensation and benefits, employment conditions per Safe Harbor policies and procedures.
- Ensure satisfactory entry into payroll system, including ensuring timely payment of salaries and remittance of payroll taxes, social security contributions, insurance and 403b contributions.
- Oversee organizational IT needs related to server, software, upgrades and equipment.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, LICENSE(S), CERTIFICATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant work experience, including accounting/finance administration;
- Non Profit and Grant reporting experience; federal grant experience preferred
- Familiarity with QuickBooks or related financial software
- High degree of computer literacy (Windows, Word, Outlook, Advanced Excel)
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrated skills in developing, managing and evaluating financial and administrative plans and policies
- A thorough knowledge of and dexterity with accounting software and systems,
- High ethics and a personal commitment to transparency and accountability
- Superior organizational skills; ability to multi-task and be detail orientated with activities and responsibilities
- High degree of flexibility and the ability to problem solve and make decisions individually and /or within a team, in order to achieve organizational objectives.
- Excellent judgment, an ability to exercise discretion and tact in difficult or confidential situations and an ability to project a positive, professional image to the public.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a variety of settings with a commitment to and experience in working with people from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the issues of domestic violence and sexual assault preferred
Safe Harbor supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.